Sunday, December 28, 2014

Goodnight, Alaska by Harry Manners

Harry Manners is the author of the Ruins Saga. I subscribe to his newsletter the Pendulum Gazette because I was so impressed by his story telling. As a bonus he put a short story "Goodnight, Alaska" in his newsletter.

It is the story of one mans inner dialogue at the end of the world. He has lost everything and knows he is going to die but it is his choice how to handle it. I was reminded of [Richard Matheson] and the voice and tone of [I Am Legend] which is such a classic and strong point of view, even if it is a little creepy. (The actual short story by the way not the really bad movie with Will Smith that was nothing like the actually story.) I feel that [Harry Manners] is, if not there yet, close to being on the same level as Matheson. I hope he never lets Hollywood destroy his writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment